Saturday 2 April 2011

Blog Reflections - Images and Ebooks

I must concede that Mobaphoto and I had a disagreeance in the downloading process and in the end I had no more time to spend on this task especially with the multitude of other activities waiting to be completed.  Instead I chose to use Picture Manager to resize my own photos to embed into my wiki and webspace.  This was an easy, effortless process that didn't require the one thing I'm lacking - time.

I'll be honest and admit I spent minimal time exploring Flickr, to which I added a personal photo which I was then able to link to my blog.  Flickr is a website that houses images and videos that are uploaded by anyone to be shared and even embedded into personal blogs.  Once photos are uploaded each photo should be tagged  to enable viewers ease of access to a particular topic they may be searching for as photos would be grouped to different categories.  The term 'folksonomy', created by Thomas Vander Wal is used to describe this action of collaborative tagging, which is extremely useful when searching for something specific, almost like a picture dictionary.  The term 'picture dictionary' is what I will use to remember what Flickr is.


ebooks

ebooks can be made using a variety of programs, but I will talk about the free ones!  One of these is called Flip Flash Album which allows users to add their own images, music and text as well as select from provided graphics.  By creating an Ebook that allows you to upload your own images, students can make real life connections to a certain topic.  This enables a more engaging experience as relations are formed through authenticity.  Completed ebooks can be stored in students Virtual Class Room's for easy access.

Picture Book Maker is another ebook creating site, however it doesn't allow the addition of your own images, but has a small range of very cute images to choose from.  It's simply a matter of clicking on the images you want for each page, then adding your text.  This is a wonderful ebooking opportunity for Preps and the lower primary grades as it's very user friendly and quick to make.A Gorilla Called Gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment